As we get closer and closer to Christmas, I’ve notice that I am constantly having to remind my kids to be good. I came up with this fun treat to give them, and any friends who run the risk of being on Santa’s “Naughty List,” as a subtle hint to check themselves (before they wreck themselves, ha ha… couldn’t resist).
Chocolate covered lumps of coal will be a hit at your holiday party!
Give these lumps of coal to friends and family, naughty and nice
Since I’m so nice, I’m giving them chocolate-covered chocolate Rice Krispie treat lumps of coal instead of the real deal. I know, what a softie. These little guys were very easy, so quick to make, and are perfect for family members, friends, or as holiday party favors. I even created a set of 9 free printable red chevron tags to go with the coal.
To make these yummy little lumps of chocolate coal, all you need are:
* 1/4 cup butter
* Bag of mini marshmallows (10.5 oz.)
* 4 1/2 cups of Chocolate Rice Krispies (regular Rice Krispies will work, too)
* Chocolate bark, Wilton chocolate melts, or even chocolate chips
1. Melt the 1/4 cup butter in a pan over low heat. Once melted, add the bag of marshmallows. Stir until melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add the 4 cups of Rice Krispies to the marshmallow mixture and stir until it’s all mixed in.
Rice Krispies Coal before getting dunked in chocolate
3. Let mixture cool until it’s warm enough to touch, and then put a little butter or Pam cooking spray on your fingers (I know it’s messy, but trust me, you’ll thank me later). Grab small pieces of the mixture and shape into little coal lumps. Let harden on a piece of wax paper.
4. Melt chocolate according to manufacturer’s directions (I used microwave) in small bowl. Drop Rice Krispie coal into chocolate, and spoon chocolate over entire piece. Smooth chocolate out with the spoon, and let chocolate harden on the wax paper.
4. Print and cut out the printable lump of coal tags. There are 9 tags per sheet that say “Naughty or Nice?,” “Lump of Coal,” and a little poem that I made up that says “Be sure that kindness is your goal, or all you’ll get is a lump of coal.” That last one is going to be for my kiddos
5. Package the lumps of coal inside a little plastic bag, glassine bag, on a plate, or however else you can think up! Add the tag by stapling, punching a hole and adding ribbon, or taping the tag to a straw or small stick.
Now you just need to make your own list of who you will give these little chocolate lumps of coal to! Family, friends, kids’ friends or classmates, co-workers, church friends, etc. Or maybe while the kids are at school, your elf on a shelf decides to bring these to your kiddos as a friendly hint