How to Fix Any Broken Powder Makeup… Really!

I am so excited to share this cool trick with you today!!  I’ll admit it, I like to buy the good stuff when I buy makeup, and it is beyond frustrating when one of my kids (okay, or me) knocks down one of my MAC eye shadows, powders, or blushes, and it breaks into 10 million little tiny crumbles all over the counter.  I can’t tell you how many times this has happened to me, and as much as I want to salvage it, it’s such a big mess, so I end up throwing it all away, and throwing away my money in the process!

Not anymore!  Using just one ingredient you probably already have at home, you can easily repair your broken powder makeup, and have it back to normal the next morning!  Life changing!!  AND it takes less than 5 minutes to do (although it does take overnight to dry).  Let’s begin!

Here’s all you’ll need:
  • Broken powder makeup (powder, eyeshadow, or blush)
  • Rubbing alcohol (the higher the concentration, the better- I used 70)
  • Plastic wrap (optional, but keeps your fingers cleaner!)
Directions:
1.  Gather all of the broken pieces of makeup into its original container, and crush the whole thing up (even the parts that may not have broken).
2.  Add a few drops of rubbing alcohol to the compact, and let it soak in. Use your finger, the back of a spoon, or anything, really, to rub and smooth down the makeup.  I used my finger (which is still stained bright pink after about 10 hand washes!) at first, but I found that I got better results by placing a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the makeup, and then rubbing the plastic wrap to smooth out the makeup.  If the mixture is still too dry, then add a little more alcohol, and rub again.

3.  Once your makeup is all smooth again, all you have to do is wait, preferably overnight.  The alcohol has to dry out, and once it does your makeup will be totally back to normal, and the alcohol smell will be gone! My blush was perfect the next day, and you never would have guessed that it was a crumbled  mess the day before!

My sad crushed pink blush that would have gotten tossed because I (can’t blame the kids this time) dropped it, is now whole and complete and ready to be used again!  Yippee!! This is probably my favorite tip of all time, because everyone drops their makeup, right?
Is anyone else as excited as I am about this?!?

And if you’ve ever had a problem with your underwire poking out from your bra and stabbing you, be sure to check out my easy tutorial for how to repair a broken underwire bra.

This DIY Lemon and Rosemary scrub smells amazing, is so easy to make, and is a great inexpensive gift!

Another DIYscrub that smells amazing is this Rosemary Mint Sugar and Salt Scrub!

If you liked this project, please follow me on

Please share and pin!

XO, Laura

Linking Up Here:  Tatertots & JelloWhipperberry, The 36th Avenue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Let's Be Friends!

Comments

1. says

I love you.
    Half my make up is actually in that devastated shape (I’m a bit of a klutz)…and if I can make it work…you’ll have saved at least my favourite cyclamen eye shadow. <3

2. says

Love this tip! I use powdered eye shadow every day and I’ve thrown away my share of crumbled shadow. No more!….Thank you so much!
    PS – to keep excess eye shadow powder off your cheeks, try CUES – Clean Under Eye Shields :-)

• says

You’re welcome Melanie! I’ve thrown away tons too, thanks to a toddler who loves to throw my makeup on the ground- not anymore! I’ll have to checkout CUES… never heard of them. Thanks for the tip!

3. Anonymous says

I’m so excited to show this to my mom! I dropped her blush last week by mistake… she still hasn’t thrown it out!

- Emily

4. Anonymous says

And sometimes you can buy new make up on sale that is still sealed but has been dropped and crumbled! This would be a great idea for saving money that way too :)

5. Anonymous says

After reading I thought about how I am constantly mixing two different shadows to achieve my favorite color. I smashed them up, followed you tips and I LOVE my ‘new’ eyeshadow! Muah

6. says

Wow! This is brilliant! Thanks so much for this great solution, also the underwire repair tips. I’ve sewn them back too, but didn’t know about the duct tape and clear nail polish! You’re amazing!
    Hugs, Linda @ Grandmalay’s Daydreams

7. says

umm.. i Love you ??? my FAVORITE eye shadow trio broke and every time I go my make up I get gold dust all over my fingers and clothes but I couldn’t part with it. Im SOO happy i found this. Im telling everybody about this. your a life saver. !

8. Anonymous says

Hey I was wondering if you substitute the alcohol for anything else?
    You have any ideas? Or anyone else for that matter?

Although this one is fantastic. And thanks for the bra tip. You don’t know how much money I’ve wasted over the years and how much I’m going to save now.

Love you and thank you again..

9. Anonymous says

Great idea. Question: When it’s in the drying stage, does it matter if you leave it covered or open? It probably dries faster open, right?

10. says

Oh my goodness my HD Brows palette just smashed! I’m so glad I found this post – I need to get some surgical spirit (rubbing alcohol) as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing this tip!

11. Dana Anyan says

Im always saving those compacts you cant get all the stuff out of it…hoping for a miracle to be able to make them work someday! Can’t wait to combine all my like type blushes into onr new one. I have 5 almost gone berry blushes! You’ve made my day. Thanks!!