Was anyone else obsessed with making paper boxes out of notebook paper when they were kids? I loved the fact that I could turn a regular sheet of paper into a cute little box that could hold my secret little treasures. Fast forward to today…. I STILL love making cute little boxes, but now I use thick colored card stock and patterned paper!
Since Valentine’s Day is this Friday, I whipped up some cute little boxes that are just perfect for housing some sweet treats or a small Valentine’s Day gift inside of. I’m going to give one to each of my kids, filled with fun surprises. It’s easy to make these boxes- each one took me less than 5 minutes to make!
The Sizzix Big Shot die cut machine has been on my crafty want list for a long time, and I recently got one and used it to make these adorable boxes. It’s everything I had hoped for and more! It is very easy to use and is so durable. For this project I used the Bigz XL Box #3 Die.
Easy Valentine Paper Boxes:
- Sizzix Big Shot
- Bigz XL Box #3 Die
- Extended Cutting Pads
- 12×12 sheet of card stock or patterned paper (1 sheet per box)
- Any embellishments you’d like to use- more paper, bows, twine, etc.
1. Cut your 12 x 12 sheet of paper in half, so that you have two sheets of 6 x 12″ paper. Make a “Sizzix sandwich-” stack an extended cutting pad, the Bigz box die with the box shape on top, your two pieces of card stock on top of that, and then the other extended cutting pad.
Place the “sandwich” on the Big Shot, and turn the handle clockwise so that the sandwich slides right through the machine.
2. Pull out your paper pieces, that are now cut into four shapes, two of each size. Follow the directions on the Bigz XL Box die to make your box…
The directions that come with the die are very easy to read and come with great photos, but basically all you will do is fold the paper where the creases are, and apply adhesive to all the edges of the the small tabs. Attach the sides to a larger piece by attaching the longest side with adhesive to the large middle section of the bigger piece. Fold the front panel of the box up and adhere the side tab.
3. Apply adhesive to the low long tab on the back of the box, and add the last large piece (the back of the box) to the three tabs with adhesive on them.
Marvel at how perfect your little box is, and how easy it was to make!
Now you can add whatever embellishments you would like to give your box some personality!
For my Valentine’s Day boxes, I used some Cosmo Cricket Valentine’s paper that I’ve had forever in my massive scrapbooking stash. I cut out some of the little cards that I loved, and glued them onto the tops of the boxes.
Next time I make these boxes I’m also going to try making some cute paper bows, tie them with twine, and even try adding glitter! My daughter made some boxes of her own and used glitter tape on them- they turned out so cute and sparkly!
These boxes are just perfect for party favors, gift boxes, or whatever else you can come up with. I filled mine with some Valentine’s Day treats, and can’t wait to pass them out to my kiddos on Friday!
Check out the projects below for more Valentine’s Day fun!
Disclaimer: I was given a Sizzix Big Shot and dies. All opinions are always 100% my own.