Are you ready?
Fortune cookies with your own PG/PG-13 rated fortunes put inside, and then magically sealed back up, and closed back up in the package!
Okay, not magically, but I'll show you how to open up a pre-made fortune cookie, take out the old fortune, add your own steamy fortune to it, and close it up so it looks exactly like it did before.
Your unsuspecting spouse will wonder why in the world you gave him fortune cookies for Valentine's Day, until he opens a cookie and reads the fortune. And then you'll score some major points!
And I included a free printable if you don't want to come up with your own! This present really couldn't be easier. It only takes a few minutes, but is so fun!
So here we go!
- Fortune Cookies (I bought a box of 12 at the Dollar Store)
- Free Printable
- Steamer Basket (used to steam vegetables)
- Flat Iron (optional)
1. Print off the free printable. Cut each fortune into strips. If you would like to make your own fortunes, then write them up on small strips of paper. Fold each fortune so that it will fit inside the fortune cookies.
2. Carefully open up the fortune cookie packages (you'll be resealing them later), remove all of the fortune cookies, and place all of the cookies in the steamer basket. Steam them for 5-10 minutes, until they are soft and easy to open.
3. Pull out one fortune cookie at a time with a pair of tongs, carefully open it up, pull out the old fortune, and replace it with your new fortune (my printables or your own). Fold back up the cookie to its' original shape, and set it down on the counter to cool and harden. Repeat with all of the fortune cookies and fortunes.
4. If you want to reseal the cookie in its' original packaging, then take two squares of toilet paper, and fold in half. Make a fold about an inch or two wide along one of the edges of the toilet paper, and then stick the edge of the packaging that you are going to seal inside the toilet paper fold. Carefully seal it closed with your flat iron as in the picture, holding for only a couple seconds, Check to see if it sealed- if not, add a couple more seconds to the heating time.
Isn't that cool?!? Now your spouse won't suspect a thing, because it totally likes like an unopened cookie and package!! I'm putting mine all back in the original box, and giving it to my husband as is, (I'll add a bow on top), and then make him open a fortune cookie. I'll let him open one cookie a day... unless you want to be really busy on Valentine's Day ;)