I was browsing through the Pottery Barn Kids catalog when I instantly fell in love with an adorable felt boy’s thanksgiving pilgrim hat. Of course they were sold out, so I tried making two for my boys, and I love how they turned out!
These pilgrim hats are so cute for your son to wear to your Thanksgiving feast, and would look adorable in your Thanksgiving pictures. They are easy, only require a few supplies, and will totally impress all the family at Thanksgiving time 😉
|Pilgrim hat made from just felt and cardboard.|
You’ll need: dark brown felt, yellow felt, gray felt (or any other color you want for the band), velcro, a glue gun, and cardboard.
(The following directions will explain how to make the hat, but I am not going to give specific measurements, because I made two different hats for two different sized heads, and your child’s head will not be the same size as mine. It is better to eyeball it and see what looks and works best for your child.)
1. Measure your child’s head, and cut out two strips of brown felt 2 inches wide, and as long as needed to fit around your child’s head (plus a few inches of overlap to velcro the headband on). Sew both strips together along the edges. This will be the headband to go around the head.
2. Cut out two identical pilgrim hat shapes from the brown felt. (I used an 8 1/2 x 11″ piece of paper, then trimmed both sides to make the hat shape). You will want to hold up the hat by your child’s head to check if it is the right size. Trim smaller if necessary.
3. Cut a strip of gray felt for the ribbon. Cut a rounded rectangle from the yellow felt for the buckle. Then cut a small gray rectangle (that is the same width as the other gray strip) to fit inside the yellow buckle.
4. Cut another two identical strips of brown felt out to make the brim of the hat. Cut out a piece of cardboard that is shaped like the hat, but a little bit smaller. Fit the cardboard inside the two pieces of brown felt for the hat to give the hat some structure.
5. Sew along the edges of the hat with the gray ribbon on top and the cardboard sandwiched inside the two hat pieces. Sew the brim of the hat to the bottom of the hat.
6. Glue the yellow felt buckle and the gray felt rectangle to the hat. Glue or sew the velcro to the brown felt headband. Glue the felt headband to the hat. Try it on your child and hold it up before you glue, so you can make sure that hat is high enough not to drop in your child’s eyes.
Now sit back and admire your work!
I hope you try making one of these cute boy’s Thanksgiving pilgrim hats! I’d love for you to leave a comment and let me know what you think of these hats.