I am super excited to share with you my latest project!! Have you seen an I-Spy bag before? I created my own version of an I-Spy bag using Mike Wazowski from the new Disney movie, Monsters University, as my “bag,” and his eye as the clear vinyl hole to search through… an “eye-spy” bag!
Mike Wazowski’s body was the perfect shape for the bag! I love how you can look right through his eye to search through the poly pellets to find the Monsters University characters inside the bag. My kids are already addicted, and I’m thinking this bag is going to be a hot commodity during church when I pull it out to keep the kids busy and quiet 😉
If you’re unsure about what an I-Spy bag is, it’s basically it’s usually a square bag made from two pieces of fabric, with a clear piece square of vinyl cut out of the middle. It is usually filled with rice or poly pellets and a bunch of small objects (like a penny, a safety pin, a jack, etc.). The goal is for the child playing with the bag to move the bag around and find all of the objects inside.
Would you like to know how I made it? Would you like to try making one of your own? It’s really pretty simple!
- Light green fleece (how much you use depends on how big your bag will be- my bag is huge, and I used less than 1/3 yard!)
- Black felt (small amount- you could use scraps, or buy 1/8 yard)
- White felt (small amount- you could use scraps, or buy 1/8 yard)
- Blue felt (small amount- you could use scraps, or buy 1/8 yard)
- Cream or ivory felt (small amount- you could use scraps, or buy 1/8 yard)
- Clear vinyl (I bought at Jo-Ann- need only a small amount for the clear eye)
- Green thread (that matches the green fleece)
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- Glue gun
- Poly pellets (I bought mine from Jo-Ann for about $3.50 with my 50% off coupon) or rice
- Small Monsters University toys or other small objects (I FINALLY found sets of tiny Monsters toys that were exclusive to Wal-Mart- they came in a 4 pack, and were $5 per pack- I bought all 3 varieties of packs)