A fluffy, delicious bread bowl recipe that is simple to make and so delicious! Impress your family and friends by making mouth-watering homemade bread bowls filled with hearty soup for a delicious dinner.
I still remember the first time I saw clam chowder served in a bread bowl as a child. It was fascinating to me that the bread not only held the soup, eliminating the need for a bowl, but could also be nibbled on and dunked into the piping hot soup. What a concept!
I’m still somewhat obsessed with bread bowls. Somehow the soup just tastes better when it’s served in a baked bowl made out of bread, especially when you can dunk the soft spongy top of the bowl into your soup. Mmmmm….
Did you know that it’s actually quite easy to make those heavenly bread bowls at home?
All it takes is a few basic ingredients and a little time to let it rise, then you’ve got fluffy, tasty homemade bread bowls and a house that’s filled with the intoxicating smell of freshly baked bread, just like when I make my favorite braided Easter bread.
I recently made two batches of bread bowls for our family (since there are 6 of us), then filled up the bowls with potato soup with bacon & cheddar.
Bread Bowl Recipe
Bread Bowl Ingredients
- warm water
- active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
- olive oil
- egg white
The water, yeast, and sugar will sit for 10 minutes.
Then you’ll add in the flour, salt, and olive oil and mix.
Your bread bowl dough will then rise, while you wait patiently.
Next you’ll divide the dough into 3 pieces, roll it out, and let it rise for 30 minutes.
After a nice egg wash brush over the top the bread bowls go into the oven.
Once cool, use a knife to cut a round piece from the top and remove as much of the filling as you would like to create the bowl.
Fill with soup and indulge! This easy bread bowl recipe has quickly become a family favorite, especially during the chilly fall and winter months. (Recipe adapted from here.)
See, making bread bowls really isn’t that hard, is it? Once you have the bread bowl recipe and know how to make bread bowls for soup, you won’t want to go back to eating out of a plain old bowl.
Now really, where’s the fun in that?
OTHER POPULAR RECIPES:
Homemade Bread Bowl Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups very warm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp water
- Pour the very warm water into a kitchen mixer bowl. Add the yeast and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the dough hook attatchment to the mixer. Turn the mixer on low, then slowly add in the flour and salt. Add the olive oil and keep mixing until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl. Cover and let rise for one hour, or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece until it is a smooth ball. Pull part of the top of the bread down on all sides and bring it together at the bottom so the ball is smooth. Place each ball onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and cover. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix together the egg white and water and brush each ball of dough with the egg wash mixture. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Once cool, use a knife to cut a round piece from the top and remove as much of the filling as you would like to create the bread bowl. Fill with soup and enjoy!
This post was updated in October 2018 and was originally posted in October 2015.