With Valentine’s Day approaching, and my new sewing machine just waiting to be used, I decided to make some throw pillows for my couch. I created two red felt pillows, each with a white heart in the middle. Simple, but bold and graphic, and oh so cute! And you can easily make one (or two) too!
The cool thing about these pillow covers are that they are removable, so you can switch out covers without having to buy new inserts every time you want to switch it up. And you don’t even have to mess with sewing a zipper!
Oh, and did I mention these are very inexpensive? BOTH pillows cost me under $5 to make!! Let’s get started!
- Red felt (or any other color you want)
- White felt (a medium-sized piece for the heart)
- Sewing machine
- Pillow insert (any size)
1. Cut out a piece of red felt the same size as your pillow insert. My insert was 18″ x 18″, so my red felt piece was also 18″x18″.
4. Now cut out two pices of red felt that are the same height as your pillow, but about 2/3 the width. These two pieces should overlap each other by a few inches, and will be the back of the pillow cover.
5. Place these two pieces over the heart side of the square piece, and line up all of the outside edges (right sides of the felt together). Pin all of the layers together, and sew around all four sides using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Now make a small diagonal cut on each edge of the pillow, making sure that you don’t cut any of the stitching. Turn the pillow right side out, and use your scissors or pencil to push out the corners.
- Now place your pillow insert into your cover.