Just looking at these 4th of July cupcake toppers that I made last week makes me so happy! I love how bright and colorful they are, and I especially love how easy they were to create using my Sizzix Big Shot and Sizzix dies. They are so pretty and patriotic, and I love the bold red white and blue colors and patterns!
Today I’ll be sharing how I made these Fourth of July Cupcake Toppers. Anyone can make these! They are perfect for a picnic on the beach, an old-fashioned 4th of July party, or even to enjoy while watching fireworks with the family. However you decide to use them (you could even stick them into another food other than cupcakes), your friends and family will be so impressed with your craftiness!
4th of July Cupcake Toppers
- Cardstock- I used red, white, blue, red & white striped, and blue glitter
- Sizzix Big Shot
- Sizzix Sizzlits Decorative Strip Medallions Die
- Sizzix Sizzlits Ampersands & Banner Die
- Glue gun
- Mini blue letter stickers
- Thin wood sticks or sucker sticks
- Cupcakes (optional)
- Cut the cardstock to fit directly over the medallions die. Make your “Sizzix sandwich” with the multipurpose platform (lift up tab 2), a cutting pad, the medallions die (face up), the cardstock, and then the other cutting pad. Run all of this through the Big Shot by turning the handle. Pull off the cut medallion pieces. I used just the larger medallion for this project. Use this same process to create white banners using the Ampersand & Banner Sizzlits die. Accordion fold back and forth on the medallion score lines.
- Carefully glue the two ends together with hot glue, then lightly press the medallion upside down. Place some hot glue in the middle of the medallion while holding it together on the outside. Place the circle die that was cut with the medallions on the hot glue to hold the medallion together. Press down for a few seconds while the glue cools. Turn the medallion over and place some hot glue in the middle hole in the front of the medallion to secure it.
- Spell out “America” words with the mini blue glitter letters, and place the stickers onto the white banners. I used the words stripes, stars, land, free, home, and brave straight out of our national anthem. Glue the banners onto each medallion,. Glue the medallions onto the top of the sticks.
And there you have it. Pretty patriotic medallion 4th of July cupcake toppers that are sure to wow!
I’ll admit that when we ate the cupcakes, I made sure to remove and save every single one of these cupcake toppers. I cleaned the ends that were in the cupcakes, and plan on using them in another creative way to celebrate the Fourth of July! They were way too pretty to just use once. 😉
If you don’t have a Big Shot, you have got to do yourself a favor and get one. There are SO many different things you can do with it, and SO many great Sizzix dies that you can get! I am having so much fun using mine multiple times each week. Plus, because I’m on the Sizzix Design Team, I get to offer you an exclusive discount code of 15% off your purchase on Sizzix.com! Just use code SZ3B at checkout. Happy shopping!
Another one of my favorite patriotic projects was this DIY American flag garland that I made last year. I had lots of fun with it and took it around San Diego and photographed it down by the USS Midway and some of the statures nearby. You can check out the full tutorial here!
This DIY anchor pillow feeds my anchor obsession, and is so easy to make yourself!
- Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means that I get a very small percentage of any purchase that is made using these links. Thank you!