Make a tasty donut ice cream sandwich by combining donuts, ice cream, and other fun additions. You won’t believe the incredible flavor of these easy desserts!
Just when you thought ice cream couldn’t get any better…. how about a delicious donut ice cream sandwich?!
These donut ice cream sandwiches are deceivingly simple to make.
They are such a unique and fun treat to serve to family and friends!
It’s no surprise that both kids AND adults go crazy for these.
Love donuts? Then you’ll love our pancakes and pajamas party!
Donut Ice Cream Sandwich
When I go to the San Diego Fair every year, I see fried food and ice cream served left and right.
I wanted to create a state fair-themed recipe that you might find at the fair, but that I had never seen done before.
I was SO excited when I thought up these donut ice cream sandwiches, because how can you ever go wrong when both donuts AND ice cream are involved?!!
There’s no oven involved and no need to bake… score!
Donut Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients
To make this delicious treat, you’ll need-
- ice cream (any ice cream flavor works)
- mini chocolate chips, colorful sprinkles, or other toppings (see list below for more ideas)
Cutting the Donuts
First, you’ll use a serrated knife to carefully cut each donut in half horizontally.
Adding the Ice Cream
Forget about using those arm muscles to dig out scoops of ice cream.
To make it REALLY easy to add the ice cream to the donut, I used a sharp knife to slice right through the ice cream container and packaging.
Your ice cream will be as thick as your slice, so cut according to how big you would like it.
Next, use a large circle biscuit cutter or glass with straight sides to push down on the ice cream and form a circle.
Remove the excess ice cream.
You have my permission to eat the extra. 😉
Use a butter knife to lift up the ice cream round and place in on the bottom donut half.
Add the donut top over the ice cream.
Adding the Extras
For some extra color and texture, roll the ice cream sandwich ice cream side down into some fun toppings!
Do your best to make sure that the toppings stick.
You can also spoon extra toppings on to fill in any gaps or holes in the ice cream.
Donut Ice Cream Sandwich Toppings
Choose from these tasty topping ideas or get creative and come up with your own list!
- colorful sprinkles
- mini chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
- mini or regular M&M candies
- crushed candy bars
- Fruity Pebbles
- Lucky Charms
- crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
You could even drizzle melted chocolate over the top or sides if you’d like to make them extra special!
How to Serve
Now you have a choice-
- eat your donut ice cream sandwich right away
- place your dessert in the freezer for a little bit to harden up if the ice cream melted
If you choose to put the ice cream donuts in the freezer, you can place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Just don’t leave them in there for too long because the don’t won’t be soft anymore.
Remove when ready to serve.
Since it was a cool day today when I made these, I didn’t have to worry about freezing them.
These donut ice cream sandwiches were ready to be eaten and were just perfect!
In the words of my husband’s grandfather, “Life is short. Eat dessert first.”
And boy, this sure is a dessert worthy of the calories!
Hope you enjoyed our easy recipe.
It’s the perfect summer treat for kiddos and adults no matter what time of year it is!
Donut Ice Cream Sandwich
- Biscuit cutter or straight round glass
- Serrated knife
- 1-2 cartons ice cream (any flavor)
- 1 dozen donuts (any variety)
- toppings (sprinkles, chocolate chips, M&M's, crushed cereal, crushed candy bars, etc.)
- Use a serrated knife to cut each donut in half.
- Use the same knife to cut a slice of ice cream (while still in the container) that's as thick as you'd like your ice cream to be when inside the donut.
- Use a biscuit cutter or straight sided glass to push down on the ice cream to create a circle. Remove the excess ice cream, then use a butter knife to life up the ice cream round. Place the ice cream circle on the bottom donut half, then place the other donut half on top.
- For extra texture and flavor, roll the sandwich ice cream side down into your desired toppings, making sure that they stick. Spoon extra toppings on to fill in any gaps or holes.
- Eat the donut ice cream sandwiches right away, or place in freezer for a short while to harden up if the ice cream has softened. Don't leave in the freezer for too long, or the donut will get hard. Enjoy!
This article was updated in September 2021 and was originally shared in May 2015.