Learn how to fix broken makeup, broken highlighter, broken blush, broken eyeshadow… basically ANY broken powder makeup! It just takes 5 minutes and one ingredient and couldn’t be easier.
I am sooooo excited to share this cool trick with you today!! Seriously, you’re going to LOVE this.
I’ll admit it, I like to buy the good stuff when I buy makeup.
It’s beyond frustrating when one of my kids (or me) knocks down one of my MAC eyeshadows, powders, or blushes, and it breaks into 10 million little tiny crumbles all over the counter.
I can’t tell you how many times this has happened to me!
As much as I want to salvage it, it’s such a big mess. I end up throwing it all away and throwing away my money in the process.
How to Fix Broken Makeup
Using just one ingredient you probably already have at home, you can easily repair your broken powder makeup. Yep, it will be back to normal the next morning.
In less than 5 minutes (although it does take overnight to dry), your broken makeup will look just like it did before it broke!
What Broken Makeup Can I Fix?
This quick makeup hack works on all of these types of makeup-
- broken highlighter
- broken blush
- broken eyeshadow
- broken powder
- ANY broken makeup that is a powder
Supplies You’ll Need
- Broken powder makeup
- Rubbing alcohol (the higher the concentration, the better- I used 70%)
- Plastic wrap
Pick Up the Pieces
First, gather all of the broken makeup pieces.
Place them in their original makeup container.
Crush up all of the makeup in the container, even the parts that may not have broken.
Smooth It Out
Add a few drops of rubbing alcohol to the makeup compact and let it soak in.
Use your finger or the back of a spoon to rub and smooth down the makeup.
I used my finger at first, but got better results by placing a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the makeup.
Rub the plastic wrap to smooth out the makeup.
If the mixture is still too dry, add a little more rubbing alcohol, then rub again.
The Waiting Game
Now that your broken makeup is all smooth again, you just have to wait, preferably overnight.
The makeup needs time to dry out.
Once dry, your makeup will be completely back to normal, and the alcohol smell will be gone!
My blush was perfect the next day. You never would have guessed that it was a crumbled mess the day before!
How To Fix Broken Makeup
- broken powder makeup
- rubbin alcohol (70% or higher)
- plastic wrap
- Gather all the broken makeup pieces and place back into original container. Crush up all the pieces, even if they weren't broken.
- Add a few drops of rubbing alcohol to the makeup and let it soak in. Place plastic wrap over the makeup and smooth it out a finger or the back of a spoon.If the mixture is still too dry, add a few more drops of rubbing alcohol.
- Let the makeup compact sit overnight to dry. Once dry, the makeup will be back to normal and the alcohol smell will be gone!
This how to fix broken makeup article was updated in January 2021 and was originally published in January 2013.