An all-natural fall potpourri recipe that evokes all the favorite scents and spices of fall and can be easily made in just a few minutes.
Cooler temperatures, crunchy leaves in deep, rich earthy colors, thick sweaters, pumpkin everything, daily boot-wearing, and the warm, spicy scents of fall are some of the biggest reasons I eagerly await fall each year.
If you’re crazy for fall too, then you will be just as excited about this fall stove top potpourri as I am!
Be sure to try our Christmas potpourri version that smells just like Christmas!
It’s a wonderful, all-natural way to bring the fresh smell of fall right into your home.
Stovetop potpourris, or pot simmers, are a wonderful way to scent your whole whole house naturally without using toxin-filled sprays or candles.
Fall Stove Top Potpourri Recipe
Creating that perfect fall smell that wafts through your home and makes you want to start baking apple pies and get cozy under a warm blanket is surprisingly easy to achieve.
All it takes is a few natural items (many of which you probably already have) and a small saucepan to make a fall potpourri on the stove.
Make this simmering fall potpourri and your house will be smelling like the perfect fall day faster than you can say pumpkin spice!
All Natural Ingredients
- cinnamon sticks
- whole cloves
- whole nutmegs, cut in half
You can find the exact recipe that is easy to print on the recipe card at the bottom of the article.
Prep the Fall Potpourri Recipe Ingredients
Slice the apple and orange in thin slices.
Place the orange and apple slices in the bottom of a medium-sized saucepan.
Add the other ingredients, then add enough water to cover them.
Simmer the Fall Potpourri
Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
I like to use a wood spoon to gently push on the ingredients with a wood spoon to break them down a little and help release their oils.
Simmer the fall stove top potpourri mixture, checking on it occasionally to make sure there is still water.
When the water gets low, you can either add more to keep your house smelling like fall, or turn it off and throw away the ingredients.
Better yet, add the used fall potpourri ingredients to your compost pile, since they’re all natural!
You’ll be amazed at how powerful this lovely DIY potpourri scent is and how your house is transformed into a crisp fall day.
The bright citrus mixed with the earthy, spicy cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg in this potpourri recipe make for the perfect scent of fall.
My daughter came home when I was simmering and testing a batch of my homemade fall potourri stove top recipe.
Before she even saw what I was doing she asked why it smelled like fall.
Optional Ingredients To Add:
Feel free to adapt this recipe and add any of these additional add-ins that you would like!
- dried fruit
- favorite herbs
- bay leaves
- vanilla bean
- orange peels
- fresh cranberries
- apple cider
Fall Stove Top Potpourri Recipe
- Medium Pot
- 1 apple
- 1 orange
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp cloves
- 2 whole nutmegs (cut in half) * You could also substitute 1 tsp powdered nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Slice the apple and orange in thin slices. Place in the bottom of a medium-sized pot.
- Add the other ingredients, then add enough water to cover them.
- Place pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Gently push on the ingredients with a wood spoon to break them down a little and help release their oils.
- Simmer the fall stove top potpourri mixture over low heat, checking on it occasionally to make sure there is still water.
- When the water gets low, add more to keep your house smelling like fall. You can also turn it off and throw away the ingredients or add them to a compost pile.
More Favorite Fall Ideas-
- Fall Bucket List Ideas + FREE Printables
- Nightmare Before Christmas Wreath DIY
- Starbucks Caramel Apple Spice Recipe
- How to Make a Realistic Witch Cauldron (from a plastic one)
- How to Make a Fake Fire Prop for Halloween
- Turkey Cheeseball Recipe
- AirStone Fireplace Makeover
This article was updated in October 2021 and was originally posted in August 2016.