Every year I try to come up with some kind of spooky Halloween food to freak out my kids, but that still is good enough for them to eat. A couple of years ago I created these witches fingers and they were a HIT!
I mean really, who doesn’t love mozzarella sticks? I used frozen mozzarella sticks and pumpkin seeds to create these tasty witch fingers. I even made a simple blood sauce to dip the severed fingers into (okay, it was really a quick and easy marinara sauce)!
Whip up this yummy Halloween snack for an after-school treat for your little ghouls and goblins, as part of a Halloween dinner, or to take to a Halloween party.
Keep reading for the easy witch fingers recipe!
Witches Fingers Recipe
- Frozen mozzarella sticks
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
Preheat the oven to whatever temperature is required for the brand of mozzarella sticks you use. Use a small knife to cut a fingernail shape out of the top of a mozzarella stick.
Press the stick down into the cheese so that it stays in place for cooking.
Place the witch fingers on a baking sheet in a single layer, then cook the witch finger cheese sticks in the oven as directed on the back of the package.
The cook time will depend on how many sticks you cook at once. Remove from the oven once done cooking.
I am still so amazed at how well these witches fingers turned out. They looked great, and the pumpkin seed fingernails were the perfect spooky touch!
Now it’s time to make a sauce to go with the witch fingers. What better sauce than a homemade marinara dipping sauce that looks like blood?!
Easy Marinara “Blood” Dipping Sauce
- 28 oz. can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
Combine all the ingredients (except the fresh basil) in a medium pot. Simmer on medium-low for 10-15 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the chopped fresh basil. Stir to combine. Wait until the marinara dipping sauce has cooked a bit to serve.
Now dunk a witches finger into the blood sauce and you’ve got the perfect Halloween appetizer!
I love this spooky witch finger snack, especially since you can make it in about 20 minutes.
Creepy Witches Fingers
- 1 box frozen mozzerella sticks
- 1 bag pumpkin seeds
- 28 oz can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to the temperature on your mozzarella sticks box. Use a small knife to cut a fingernail shape out of the top of a mozzarella stick.
- Press a pumpkin seed down into the cheese so that it stays in place for cooking.
- Place the witch fingers on a baking sheet in a single layer, then cook the witch finger cheese sticks in the oven as directed on back of package. While the witch fingers are cooking, start making the marinara "blood" dipping sauce.
Marinara "Blood" Dipping Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients (except the fresh basil) in a medium pot. Simmer on medium-low for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped fresh basil. Stir to combine. Wait until the marinara dipping sauce has cooled a bit to serve.
More Halloween and Fall Ideas
- Fall Stove Top Potpourri Recipe
- Spooky Easy Glow in the Dark Punch
- No-Sew Hedwig Baby Owl Costume
- DIY Fortnite Bush Costume
- Halloween Wood Sign with Cricut
- How to Make a Pumpkin Diorama
- How to Make a Realistic Witch Cauldron (from a plastic one)
Halloween Party Ideas
- Free Printable Halloween Invitations
- Creative Ghostbusters Party
- Goonies Halloween Party
- Nightmare Before Christmas Halloween Party
- Haunted Forest Halloween Party
This post was originally published in October 2016 and was updated in August 2020.